A rotary screw air compressor is, simply, rotary positive displacement machines, capable of high speed operation over a wide range of operating pressures and flow rates at high efficiencies. In screw air compressors there are no valves or other mechanical forces that can cause unbalance. This allows a compressor to operate at high speeds while combining a large flow rate with small exterior dimensions. The main advantage of using a rotary screw air compressor is that it supplies compressed air continuously with minimum fluctuation in delivery pressure and generates less heat than normal air compressors which improves energy efficiency. Other advantages of using rotary screw air compressors that will help Australian industries grow, include:
- Convenient, as they deliver air continuously for the required purposes, and safe, as the chances of having an accident are minimal.
- Functions at extreme weather conditions as the compressor can work at high temperatures or in low conditions to suit your convenience and at any forms of energy or temperatures levels.
- Lowers maintenance costs drastically.
- Long-lasting, as they have little or no capacity reduction.
- Designed to run tools that generate more power than typical equipment.
- Low noise output machine.
- Minimum oil-carryovers as low as 3 ppm in oil lubricated machine.
- ELGi rotary screw air compressor profile consists of several segments with each having a different shape.
- Large positive displacement which increases the pressure by reducing its volume.
- Strong female rotor which helps in more tapping of air and reduction of space continuously.
- Short sealing line that maintains a seal over the entire contact length which eliminates the need for a sealing strip.
- Better clearance distribution.
The Rotary Screw air compressor uses a rotary-type positive-displacement mechanism. The screw element consists of two rotors that are similar to a helix, each with a different shape and number of grooves/teeth. Atmospheric air is sucked into this screw element, and as the air progresses along the rotors, it gets compressed. The main characteristic of this type of compressor is a male and a female rotor element which gets the air to trap and release when as required.
- In an oil lubricated rotary screw type air compressor, the male rotor is driven by the motor or engine, and the female rotor is driven by the male rotor, or actually by the thin film of oil that’s between them.
- In an oil-free rotary screw type air compressor, a set of gears controls the timing between the male and female rotor. There is no oil to seal the chamber.
The basic principle of a rotary type compressor is that the male and female rotors are spinning in opposite directions. The prime mover turns the rotor of the airend in a rotary screw air compressor. This develops a vacuum which results in surrounding air being driven into the airends through the air filter. As the rotors turn progressively, the air gets trapped in the spaces between the two screws (rotors).
Air is taken from the atmosphere into the rotary screw compressor through the air intake system. It passes through a filter that helps in removing suspended particles from it. The filtered air goes in the airend, which is the heart of the rotary screw compressor. Here the air trapped within the spaces between the two rotors with lobes that mesh with each other. As the rotors turn, they progressively compress the trapped pockets of the air and the compressed air is discharged at the outlet of the airend.
ELGi’s EN & EG series are best-in-class rotary screw electric air compressors, which have been developed keeping in mind the requirements of Australian industries.
OUR INNOVATION STORIES
Oil-Free Air in Medicine Manufacture
India’s Positive Outlook for the Pharmaceutical IndustryREAD MORE
Penning it down!
From feathers to ball pens, compressed air has turned inventions into necessities.READ MORE
Nothing Run of the Mill About it
ELGi travels across the globe to the thriving timber industry in Australia.READ MORE
ELGi helps Jaspal & Sons design the highest quality mattresses, so everyone sleeps wellREAD MORE
Plate of air to fix that fracture
Compressed air is everywhere. Even in the process of healing fractures.READ MORE
From Ground-up to the Skies
ELGi helps Haeco Americas build tougher, safer aircrafts while operating more profitablyREAD MORE
INTERESTED IN OUR
SERVICES & PARTS?
From service networks to Genuine ELGi parts, explore our vast range of services and parts to find exactly what you need.PLACE A REQUEST